Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Relaxation in T'ai Chi, by Cheng Man-ch'ing


(image credit)
The most important point of T'ai Chi is relax. Relaxation helps your body repel illness; it allows your ch'i and blood to flow smoothly; it harmonizes the sinews and vessels, balances the Five Internal Organs, and opens the Triple Burners - how can any disease invade your body? The ancients said that the best doctor cured those not yet ill, and T'ai Chi is the finest medicine of the best doctor.
From Cheng Man-ch'ing: Master of Five Excellences.

I can formulate an Algorithm for Health … I have begun to, for Exercise and for Nutrition. The thing is, I’ve been more sick, since I moved to Dubai, largely because, I think, of the polluted air and questionable quality of food. I am otherwise healthy and fit … insha’allah.


*

Michael Garofalo culled information, quotes and references on relaxation - Relaxed - and I am grateful for his effort. Over several days in July 2011, I meditated over each one of these quotes and made notes in my T'ai Chi journal:

Not just to be really, really, but truly to be completely and absolutely shoong. I would like to imagine that in the future, I can be completely impervious to some people's craziness and shenanigans, by being absolutely shoong.

Going forward I will post regularly on relaxation, with more quotes and notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment